If youve been listening to the show for a while, youll know that the Boston Harbor Islands are one of our favorite local destinations. This week, were sharing three stories from the Harbor Islands, all of which originally aired within the first 20 episodes of the podcast. Well hear about the zoo shipwreck, a hermit who made her home on the harbor, and the secret Harbor Island base where Nazis were smuggled into the country after World War II.
The Zoo Shipwreck
- The tragic monkey riot in New Delhi.
- See the final entries in the logbook of the City of Salisbury.
- Follow the modern transformation of Graves Light into a weekend home.
The Hermit of Boston Harbor
- A photo gallery of Ann Winsor Sherwin and the schooner Snetind.
- Information on and photos of scuba diving at the Snetind.
Secret Nazis on Boston Harbor
- This episode owes an enormous debt to David Boeri’s 2010 article for WBUR, “Looking Out: Nazis on the Harbor.”
- More on Wernher von Braun’s escape from Germany.
- This book on Operation http://healthsavy.com/product/xenical/ Paperclip includes a brief passage on Henry Kolm and Fort Strong.
- The photos above are from the Boston Public Library Flickr gallery “Harbor Views.”