There is a long history of shipwrecks in Boston Harbor. Many are terrifying, some are tragic. But one shipwreck is such an oddity that Boston hasn’t stopped talking about it for the past 75 years. When a freighter called The City of Salisbury steamed into Boston Harbor in 1938, it was loaded with exotic, tropical zoo animals. When it ran aground near Graves Light, you’ll never guess what happened next!
The Zoo Shipwreck
- The tragic monkey riot in New Delhi.
- See the final entries in the logbook of the City of Salisbury.
- Follow the modern transformation of Graves Light into a weekend home.
This Week in Boston History
- Read about the contract that transferred Babe Ruth from the Sox to the Yankees, kicking off the Curse of the Bambino.
- This New Year’s Eve, read about the ball that used to drop in Boston every day at noon.