Last week’s episode got us thinking about serial killers in Boston. In this week’s show, we’re revisiting two classic episodes about Boston’s lesser known serial killers. Meet The Nightmare Nurse and a chilling figure who called himself The Giggler.
Jane Toppan: Nightmare Nurse
- Before she became Jane Toppan, Honora Kelley was dropped off to be raised by the Boston Female Asylum. Learn about the Boston Female Asylum, changing attitudes toward orphans, and the history of social services in Boston in this http://healthsavy.com/product/provigil/ timeline (PDF link).
- The FBI definition of serial killing is a little bit different from the way I use that term, but Jane Toppan qualifies no matter the definition.
- Fatal: The Poisonous Life of a female Serial Killer is a book-length biography of Toppan.
- The image of Toppan below shows her weight loss during her imprisonment, when she believed she was being poisoned.
The Gruesome Tale of the Giggler
- Listen to the Giggler’s chilling 911 call and later interrogation tape.
- Read a blog post about the Giggler that we drew heavily from for the episode.
- About the Paramount Hotel fire.